Creamy Leek, Fennel, & Greek Yogurt Soup with Ground Turkey Breast
A favorite soup at Solaris Whole Health!
- 6 tbsp unsalted ghee (if going dairy free replace with EVOO)
- 4 large fennel bulbs thinly sliced
- 6 each leeks thoroughly washed
- 6 each fresh garlic cloves finely chopped
- 8 springs rosemary
- 1.5 tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups low fat greek yogurt If going dairy free replace with 1 cup nut milk
- 16 cups turkey broth
- 2 lbs ground turkey breast browned in separate skillet or electric fry pan
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil for sauteing
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated to garnish
- garlic powder to taste
- 5 cups organic baby spinach folded in at the very end - 5 oz carton/bag
- Heat the butter in a large, deep (preferably non-stick) sauté pan, over a medium heat, add the sliced fennel, sliced leek and finely chopped garlic, and sauté, while stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes or until the fennel, leeks and garlic are beginning to soften. Cover.
- In a separate pan, sauté ground turkey in left over EVOO forking into small crumbly pieces until supple and cooked, be careful not to overcook.
- To leek saute, remove cover and add the stock, the rosemary sprigs, thyme and nutmeg and bring to the boil.
- Simmer over a low heat for about 15-20 minutes. Remove the rosemary springs.
- Allow the soup to cool slightly, then blend using an immersion blender.
- Once all of the soup has been blended, stir the yogurt (or nut mil)k and the 1/4 cup of parmesan (or salt to taste) into the soup.
- Add sautéed turkey.
- Reheat the soup over a medium heat until it is hot, but do not allow it to come to the boil.
- Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Prepare the leeks by thoroughly washing and have 2 thinly sliced, and 1 cut in half lengthways, and then cut into 4cm strips If going dairy free, add salt to taste in place of the parmesan cheese. Also, use 1 cup nut milk in place of the low fat greek yogurt.
Sodium: 2178mgCalcium: 441mgVitamin C: 61mgVitamin A: 3292IUSugar: 5gFiber: 6gPotassium: 1460mgCholesterol: 111mgCalories: 491kcalTrans Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 12gFat: 25gProtein: 45gCarbohydrates: 25gIron: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!